Likes Likes:  2,992
Page 211 of 214 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2134

Thread: Today I want one of these

Blog Entries
    You know, that’s not something I really thought about. I haven’t worn 22mm NATOs in a long time, they don’t taper, of course, so I don’t find them as comfortable as 20mm NATOs. That is a consideration.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Okay, damn it all. The indecision continues. I really do think it’s between the BB58 and Pelagos FXD. And they are two watches that couldn’t really be more different.

Oh, man, I am so torn.
    I'm not really a Tudor fan but the Pelagos would be my choice. I was very close to buying one at one time.
    Cheers,

Richard

One of the big appeals is the titanium—both because of the light weight and the unique appearance compared to everything else I own and wear regularly. I know my Hamilton is titanium also, but I don’t wear it that much compared to my other watches. I am smitten. It may be a diver or a dive style watch, but the FXD’s design really appeals and it also is not at all in danger of being muscled out of the watch box by anything I already own because it’s so different. Part of the thing that gave me pause on the BB58 was the thought that I’d wear it a lot when I first got it, then I’d wear it a lot while my Submariner is away for service, and then when my Sub came back, I’d wear it less because the Submariner is, well, better in every way (and it should be for what they charge, this isn’t a knock against the Black Bay). Of course, the BB58 would end up on a NATO, which would give it a lot more looks for different moods than the Submariner. But it is retro cool and not serious tool like the FXD—again, not a knock, I happen to like both aesthetics.

**** me, maybe it’s good that my offer was rejected. Because now I’m thinking “Hey, remember how the BB58 has 20mm lugs, which means all those Hamilton NATOs you love so much would fit on it no problem and let’s be honest, you’re more retro cool than you are serious tool guy, so…”

Okay, damn it all. The indecision continues. I really do think it’s between the BB58 and Pelagos FXD. And they are two watches that couldn’t really be more different.

Oh, man, I am so torn.
    I’d see the FDX as the more toolish titanium version of the Sub. The Tudor bezel is more usable in any light situation.. They have virtually the same movement with silicone verses parachrome mainspring and some decoration being the difference. The case finish on the Pelagos has some subtle things that get lost in pictures. My friends that wear NATO rave about the Tudor ones. I always find NATO uncomfortable when wet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I’d see the FDX as the more toolish titanium version of the Sub. The Tudor bezel is more usable in any light situation.. They have virtually the same movement with silicone verses parachrome mainspring and some decoration being the difference. The case finish on the Pelagos has some subtle things that get lost in pictures. My friends that wear NATO rave about the Tudor ones. I always find NATO uncomfortable when wet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I did really like the Tudor NATOs when I had them, but they were too short for my wrist. They were always just on the border of too tight to wear comfortably. Unfortunately, the FXD doesn’t actually come with a NATO strap, it has a slip through rubber strap and a textile Velcro strap. I am generally not a fan of rubber straps and the textile strap has this big ugly contact patch that may be exposed, which you’ll see every time you look at the watch.

It looks bad when it’s pristine; imagine after 6 months of dust, crumbs, and cat hair. Job one with the FXD would be finding a new strap for it.

Blog Entries
    I just can’t decide. It’s 2016 summer all over again. I went with the Black Bay over the Pelagos then because of certain factors, a major one being the price. And, frankly, that’s a factor again. The BB58 is a bit cheaper when new and there are lots of well preserved used models for under $3,000, which is a very attractive price point. And, frankly, there’s nothing questionable about the BB58; the dimensions are practically the same as my Submariner, so if the Submariner fits my wrist, the BB58 will too, so even my concerns about it being too small are alleviated. The FXD I would expect to wear like my BB GMT, but slightly thinner and much lighter. They both seem like a great fit for my collection. I’ve wanted a blue Tudor Snowflake Submariner much longer than I’ve wanted a Pelagos, since the early, early days of my watch journeys and the BB58 is clearly more the spiritual successor to that than the FXD, despite the MN association. It would be a perfect analogue for the unobtanium Snowflake Sub. But, the FXD is thoroughly and completely modern, something new, something cool, something still with that connection because of the co-design with MN. And that gorgeous, high contrast blue dial is so striking. Then again, the BB58’s dial is full of charm.
    Last edited by Raza; Jun 25, 2024 at 04:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Natalie Imbruglia sang a song about this.

Natalie Imbruglia sang a song about this.
    Big mistake?
    Shiver?
    Wrong impression?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

You know, that’s not something I really thought about. I haven’t worn 22mm NATOs in a long time, they don’t taper, of course, so I don’t find them as comfortable as 20mm NATOs. That is a consideration.

I mainly wear 20mm straps, most of my watches are 20mm with one 18 and one 21mm. When I bought the Panerai I was worried it would feel like wearing a bund, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

9. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I mainly wear 20mm straps, most of my watches are 20mm with one 18 and one 21mm. When I bought the Panerai I was worried it would feel like wearing a bund, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
    Straight 24 mm Panerai straps are some of the most comfortable ones out there. I can wear these for a week without ever taking them off my wrist. I guess I’m the opposite that smaller straps seem far more uncomfortable to me than the thicker Panerai ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Today I want one of these

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Big mistake?
    Shiver?
    Wrong impression?
    I think he meant torn. I think you are overthinking this way too much. I don’t know how to stress more how superior the Pelagos is to the Black Bay. Of course that’s my opinion.

My holdup has been the hope that I could find a very good preowned. As I stated earlier, the pricing doesn’t justify buying used verses new currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

12. Likes Raza liked this post