2. Likes Raza, uchinanchu liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Just doing some shopping in case…
    Name:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  33.2 KB
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    That's extortionate for a piece of nylon.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes hayday liked this post

Today I want one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    It is a niche watch; I’m sure there are plenty who bought it and found it wasn’t quite for them. But there’s lots of many great watches for sale in abundance, I don’t think that’s a knock against the watch. I mean, you could also aso why the Railmaster is on such a deep discount. Not everything resonates with everyone. Also, apparently when if first came out, the first year production was numbered by year, so they are considered collectible? Many of C&C’s FXDs are selling for above retail, I imagine that’s the reason why. Otherwise why would you pay $1000+ over retail on a new watch for a used version of it when there have been no changes?

The thing I’ve been running into this whole time has been that I couldn’t find quite the right fit. The SM300 has the polishing (and price) problem, the Railmaster has the “would I wear it enough” problem, Black Bay 58 has that “is it too close to a Submariner” problem, the FXD had the “it can’t be put on a bracelet” problem. But now, that’s no longer a problem for me. Sometimes things just click; the other strengths of the watch take it over the hump for me. Thinner case that wears smaller than the regular Pelagos, no date dial unlike the regular Pelagos, a darker, less saturated shade of blue with stark white contrasting lume, and surprisingly, it comes in at significantly less expensive than the regular Pelagos. Normally when luxury brands take away, they charge more; so this is refreshing. It seems like everyone who has this thing hands on seems to love it; every review I’ve read or watched has been positively glowing.
    The Pelagos is possibly one of the top five real dive watches made based on my experience(I would put it at 3 or 4). The BB probably is not in the top 25, IMO since it is more looks than function. For me, the Pelagos is one of the few I prefer on the amazing bracelet, while the 39 has a different bracelet setup that I felt is not as good. I don’t like NATOs or any other nylon straps, so the Manta lug is not for me. I think this is the reason many are available since this is the only way it can be worn. I see a similar thing happening with the Manta lug Omega PO Ultra Deep. If you can commit to a NATO strap, then take the win and enjoy the deals.

I’ve been looking at getting a blue Pelagos back for a year now. Prices seem to be locked in a range that it’s kind of hard to justify a preowned for the 42 Pelagos. While I’ve got my collection now focused on Rolex and Omega. I think if I squint a bit, I can accept the Peligos on the Rolex side. It also helps that Rolex does not make a Titanium Sub.

Did I mention that the Pelagos has the best lume of any dive watch I’ve ever owned? This thing with very little light will glow all night, extremely bright in blue. It ranks at the top of its class along with the Explorer IIf or Sports watch/GMT and the Zenith Pilot for pilot watches. You can even see the Pelagos glow under streetlights when driving in a convertible, including the bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Jun 24, 2024 at 12:02 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

8. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That's extortionate for a piece of nylon.
    Yes. It’s cold comfort that there are even more extortionate prices for a bit of nylon out there (Omega, for example), but I have a couple Hamilton NATOs and they’re my favorite. They’re just about the perfect length for my wrist, so I can wear them without having to fold over. The only thing that’s a bit of a bummer is that the 20mm ones that I own have leather keepers instead of metal, which I prefer. Less visual weight, more comfortable since they never dig into your wrist, and they are altogether less jangly and clangy.

Anyway, they counter offered higher than I expected, so it may not happen right now. We’ll see, I remain patient. But I’m fairly well decided on the FXD. The limitations don’t bother me and as long as something doesn’t catch my eye even more between now and when I find the right one, it should be my next watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    The Pelagos is possibly one of the top five real dive watches made based on my experience(I would put it at 3 or 4). The BB probably is not in the top 25, IMO since it is more looks than function. For me, the Pelagos is one of the few I prefer on the amazing bracelet, while the 39 has a different bracelet setup that I felt is not as good. I don’t like NATOs or any other nylon straps, so the Manta lug is not for me. I think this is the reason many are available since this is the only way it can be worn. I see a similar thing happening with the Manta lug Omega PO Ultra Deep. If you can commit to a NATO strap, then take the win and enjoy the deals.

I’ve been looking at getting a blue Pelagos back for a year now. Prices seem to be locked in a range that it’s kind of hard to justify a preowned for the 42 Pelagos. While I’ve got my collection now focused on Rolex and Omega. I think if I squint a bit, I can accept the Peligos on the Rolex side. It also helps that Rolex does not make a Titanium Sub.

Did I mention that the Pelagos has the best lume of any dive watch I’ve ever owned? This thing with very little light will glow all night, extremely bright in blue. It ranks at the top of its class along with the Explorer IIf or Sports watch/GMT and the Zenith Pilot for pilot watches. You can even see the Pelagos glow under streetlights when driving in a convertible, including the bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    One of the big appeals is the titanium—both because of the light weight and the unique appearance compared to everything else I own and wear regularly. I know my Hamilton is titanium also, but I don’t wear it that much compared to my other watches. I am smitten. It may be a diver or a dive style watch, but the FXD’s design really appeals and it also is not at all in danger of being muscled out of the watch box by anything I already own because it’s so different. Part of the thing that gave me pause on the BB58 was the thought that I’d wear it a lot when I first got it, then I’d wear it a lot while my Submariner is away for service, and then when my Sub came back, I’d wear it less because the Submariner is, well, better in every way (and it should be for what they charge, this isn’t a knock against the Black Bay). Of course, the BB58 would end up on a NATO, which would give it a lot more looks for different moods than the Submariner. But it is retro cool and not serious tool like the FXD—again, not a knock, I happen to like both aesthetics.

**** me, maybe it’s good that my offer was rejected. Because now I’m thinking “Hey, remember how the BB58 has 20mm lugs, which means all those Hamilton NATOs you love so much would fit on it no problem and let’s be honest, you’re more retro cool than you are serious tool guy, so…”

Okay, damn it all. The indecision continues. I really do think it’s between the BB58 and Pelagos FXD. And they are two watches that couldn’t really be more different.

Oh, man, I am so torn.

Bb

12. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Bb
    FXD.

Raza already has a BB GMT and Sub, so in that situation I’d definitely go for Pelagos.
    Cheers, M

14. Likes Raza, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    FXD.

Raza already has a BB GMT and Sub, so in that situation I’d definitely go for Pelagos.
    Good point

Both!

17. Likes uchinanchu, hayday liked this post