Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
If you drove one with the stick, you would never buy one with the stick. It was so horribly done that there’s nothing fun about the way it shifts or the way the clutch works.

Nearly all the reviews of the new lotus Elise with the manual say similar things about the transmission set up and clutch. Since it would be nearly impossible to find one I doubt whether I can actually confirm that is true. I guess we can hear from our owners here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“This is a nice shifter. Not Honda or Mazda flickable, but with fairly short throws and a precise motion, somewhere between BMW and Porsche. The light clutch action demands a sensitive foot to feel it engage. The electronics can match revs on upshifts but, curiously, not on downshifts; at least the pedals are nicely situated for heel-and-toe work, making a do-it-yourself throttle blip easy. Even if your execution is less perfect than robots can manage, it’s worth the effort for the sound effects. Mostly, the manual makes the entire driving experience more sensory and involving, even when all you’re doing is accelerating from a light in traffic.”

”Yes, there are more powerful F-Types, but no, I don’t care—those other trims don’t offer a manual. The manual is pure joy.”

“There will be no suspense here: it's a very good manual. It's not magnificent but those who enjoy changing gear - and they should be here, right? - will find much to like. Even before driving the signs are encouraging. The gearknob is just that, with no gratuitous adornment or ungainly shaping. It's small but actually lead weighted to aid the shift feel.”

Opinions seem to vary on the manual in the Jag, but they’re mostly positive, it appears. Might just not be to your taste.