Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's next for Col Angus...tutu shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, then if, hypothetically, your friend had a similar wrist size (<7"), I would tell him that this should fit him perfectly, and he has nothing to fear but fear itself. Or something like that.
    And maybe a little bit of ribbing now and then from forum friends whenever he wears such a dainty little watch.

I can think of no reason why they would go out of their way to label that watch a ladies' watch. Marketing people often do more harm than good.

In the William Gibson article posted this week, he mentions that the contemporary standard for a man's watch is 36 mm. Just last week, Rolex introduced a 39 mm version of their most basic watch, the Oyster Perpetual. Before that, the largest size it came in was 36 mm. I'm guessing they sold a large number of those to men and women. Marketing folks need to get over the need to genderize everything. (As the father of a young daughter, I will refrain from sharing how angering it can be to try to find toys that do not have a gender bias.)

2. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    I agree with all above. This is not a ladies watch. If it weren't for the date window, I would be very tempted myself

This is what I regard as a ladies watch:

(disclaimer: I don't think this is the sort of watch women are limited to. I love seeing for example a sub on a female wrist!)
    Last edited by Martin; Mar 26, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

I have a confession to make...I don't have a friend. I mean I do have friends, but it was me, and that was the watch I almost pulled the trigger on.

Seriously though, It's kind of funny how I really had to justify wanting to buy the watch at first. The size is in my sweet spot, it had a nice look to it, but right there on the front cover of the owner's manual MASTER COMPRESSOR LADY!

I really can't imagine who got paid for this type of marketing job. I don't think they're making this watch any more and think it may have been a bigger seller if they had called it something different; maybe a midsize, MC 37, whatever.

In the end, I walked away because we were to far apart in what they wanted, and what I was willing to pay. If truthful, I may have been less willing to budge on my end because it was marketed as a lady's watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes Der Amf, geoffbot, mlcor liked this post
    Somehow Mistress Compressor summons up a whole other mental image

7. Likes Col Angus, Der Amf, tribe125, Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    I have a confession to make...I don't have a friend. I mean I do have friends, but it was me, and that was the watch I almost pulled the trigger on.

The size is in my sweet spot, it had a nice look to it, but right there on the front cover of the owner's manual MASTER COMPRESSOR LADY!

This would be a serious problem if you were planning to wear the manual strapped to your wrist instead of the watch... But, I suppose you would have other potentially serious problems as well if you were going to do that.

9. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    P.S. I scooped up this Maurice Lacroix a while back; it was advertised as a women's watch, erroneously--the ML website listed it as a men's. It's 37mm.

Name:  Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Small 2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.0 KB

11. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    i do not understand the problem -this is my birthyear watch Bulova Director from 47'Name:  _GJP0039.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  65.7 KB
    Last edited by shameless; Mar 26, 2015 at 07:17 PM.

P.S. I scooped up this Maurice Lacroix a while back; it was advertised as a women's watch, erroneously--the ML website listed it as a men's. It's 37mm.

Name:  Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Small 2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.0 KB
    That would be a very masculine looking women's watch!

14. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Zenith marketing does the same thing.

The Ladies' Star Moonphase, in a 37mm tv screen case.

Name:  zenith ladies.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  21.4 KB

Looks good to me...

16. Likes Colin liked this post
    OK, I have this friend, right? And he saw this watch he liked. I, err I mean HE thought its proportions were much better done than the men's model, where the men's is a bit grotesque, this one seems more subdued yet still out of the ordinary.

^^^^this.

If that's a "feminine" watch, then I'm the Pope. If the size is at least 37mm without the crowns, it's definitely suitable unless you have gorilla wrists...
    I checked with my friend and he says its 37mm.

You kiddin'? I'd wrestle my wife to the ground to wear that watch.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

18. Likes Col Angus liked this post