Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nomos New movements, what say ye?

I believe they make very few of the L and L. Was a hundred a year?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I think he's referring more to the new Lux and Lambda watches

Attachment 438Attachment 439Attachment 440

They're expensive - around $20k each. But, if you compare these to similar A Lange Sohne watches they're pretty cheap; you don't get this type of finishing (screwed gold chatons, hand-engraved balance cock etc) on much cheaper (non-chinese) pieces. So it's still the relatively 'affordable luxury' for this type of piece.

The fact that I don't find them especially attractive is neither here nor there - I'm sure they'll sell out. I don't find the considerably cheaper Tetra attractive either...I do like the Orion, Zurich, Worldtimer though and I appreciate Nomos' generally excellent VFM - there aren't many dress watches with in-house movements at this price range (Frederique Constant and Zenith aside).

This should probably be on the German forum; I know you want a balanced opinion Dan but I doubt you'll find many Nomos haters here anyway!
    Bleh. Square just doesn't do it for me, at any price.

Those look great but for 20k I can't help but think:

(borrowed pic, wish borrowed watch!)

4. Likes Seriously liked this post
    I thought the Lux and Lambda movements were originally commissioned by Wempe?
    This was going back a couple of years maybe or have I got my Wempe/Nomos movements mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
    (borrowed pic, wish borrowed watch!)
    Liking that !

I think that these "high end" movements represent a halo product for them, it shows their chops in the manufacture arena. It gives Nomos lovers a higher level if they want it and prospective buyers of their "standard" level something to validate them as a movement manufacturer.

8. Likes Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    This was going back a couple of years maybe or have I got my Wempe/Nomos movements mixed up?
    I recall they 'worked with' each other developing them a while back. Can't find much to support that on Google though.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I disagree. Nomos didn't excite me in pics. But I stumbled across them at a watch show and was so impressed in the metal that I bought one the following week.
    Very much depends on the photo I think;

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Exactly, these movements originally came in Wempe watches but they were 100% Nomos movements.
    That is how Wempe managed to put Glashutte on the dial.

For the steel one the cost is 4450 Euros.
    To put that into perspective that is approximately 1000 pounds cheaper than a JLC Master Control.
    As far as I'm concerned that's still in line with Nomos pricing.

If Nomos made a Lambda in Steel I'd be hard pressed not to make it my next purchase.

I'd take this one, thanks;

Last edited by Faiz; Nov 21, 2014 at 07:54 AM.

Having a 10mm difference between the case size and the lug to lug seems gratuitous on a watch with a 42mm case. Love the dial though, especially the huge wispy power reserve. Ah yes, it reminds me of a Daddy Long Legs. Excellent

12. Likes drickster liked this post
    I recall they 'worked with' each other developing them a while back. Can't find much to support that on Google though.
    It was my understanding that they were akin to an art/design commission in that they were essentially paid for by Wempe.
    Obviously one had the money and the other had the equipment and skills.

This is just me speculating but their current use could be due to whatever licensing/use rights that went with that original commission has since expired.