Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are date windows rectangular?

Why are date windows rectangular?

This is a question I've been curious about for a while and I still haven't found the answer.

Why are most date windows on watches rectangular?

The vast majority of watches are round. Markers vary in size and shape. I can understand when a rectangular marker is used when it matches the size and shape of other markers on the dial. I think the Tudor Pelagos is an excellent example of matching the markers and date windows.

(Picture borrowed from the Internet.)

What about watches that do not have rectangular markers? Round date windows on a round watch seem to make more sense.

For example, I was wearing this Ball Fireman Racer today. Not only does it have a rectangular date window, it also sports a circular cyclops over the rectangular window.

Why do most watch designers seem compelled to keep a rectangular date window?

There are a few examples of watch makers that stray from the norm and use circular date windows. One example is Muhle Glashütte. Here is a picture of my Seebataillon with a round window. To my eye it seems more pleasing than a rectangular window.

The Benarus Moray also had a round window.

Any thoughts on why date windows are usually rectangular? Do you have a preference?

2. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Casio: CA-53W-1ER, GW3000B-1A, GW-M5610U-1ER & GW7900-1ER
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

4. Likes shemp liked this post
    Bell and Ross have some round windows, so does Ulysse Nardin.

The older Aqua Terra's had an offset square for the date wheel which I always though looked very different.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    They were definitely thinking out of the box with that one.

Ochs und Junior is also an excellent example of a unique date display.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    The older Aqua Terra's had an offset square for the date wheel which I always though looked very different.
    They at least tried to make it a little different. I actually liked that date window since it mirrored the angles used in the markers.

Savagely Average
    Oris Pointer preferred?

The average date has two digits - are they more suitable to a rectangle than a circle?

The cutouts are typically square because double digits present in a rectangular fashion, and can be cut off or hard to read with circular cutouts.

There are a lot of reasons I prefer no date watches, and this is one of them.

12. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Suppose it is to fit the double digits.
    Had a 6 o'clock vertical rectangle display once and it was awkward, the numbers could barely fit in it.