Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Captain Cook Modern

Captain Cook Modern

Ref 763.0501.3

According to A Blog To Watch this version is officially the Hyperchrome Captain Cook Modern. It was produced from 2017 until 2019.

20241009_102759 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

It's the BIG one... 45mm diameter, lug to lug of 57mm and 13.8 mm thick.

Construction is: T2 titanium case, T5 titanium and ceramic bezel, bracelet polished and blasted T5 titanium. The Rado clasp looks good with that industrial finish.

PA110018 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

One of the "Modern" features is that while the bezel retains the distinctive concave feature, the sapphire crystal is domed, not the box style of the original and the reissue. This will actually be a good thing diving and I think it is still pretty attractive.

PA110014 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Speaking of attractive, I don't know if Rado used ceramic on the dial, but it is a perfect match in finish and colour to the bezel. It even changes colour in an identical fashion.

PA110001 copy by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

While I understand the use of a different font to differntiate it from the 'heritage" versions and fonts don't get more Swiss than Helvetica, I think they could have done better. On the upside Rado gets bonus points for making the day wheel the same colour as the dial

Lume might be as good as on my D-Star or at least even with my KonTiki. It is infinitely better than the lume on the 37mm LE.

PA110007-E by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Oct 11, 2024 at 05:05 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

I sort of bought it by accident...

3. Likes Tim. liked this post
    For those interested in Titanium.. @watch carefully, a comparison with my Whitby Ad Mare.

CC Modern;.................. Whitby Ad Mare:
    Ti 2 case........................ 316L case
    45mm diameter...........44mm diameter
    57mm lug to lug........... 50.8mm lug to lug
    13.8mm thick................ 14mm thick
    24mm Ti5 bracelet....... 22mm 316L stainless steel bracelet
    Sapphire crystal............ Sapphire crystal
    20 bar rated................... 20 bar rated, tested to 30 bar
    136 gm total weight*..... 198 gm total weight*

* sized for m wrist
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Oct 11, 2024 at 10:21 PM.

5. Likes Tim., earl of farnborough liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    That's so often the best way.

Congrats Hank, I really like it, interesting redesign of the traditional seconds hand too.

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    That's so often the best way.

Congrats Hank, I really like it, interesting redesign of the traditional seconds hand too.
    Cheers Tim. There are numerous elements that are clearly, if sometimes subtly, different than all the other versions of the CC, From the obvious things like the font and crystal to the more subtle tings like the seconds and hour hands and the lugs.

When it was first released I remember hating it, thinking that the only real differences were the font, size and a modern bracelet. Having one in my hands I can now see it is quite different and as is generally the case with Rado, in a fairly thoughtful way.

9. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Bob Ross style accident....

11. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post