Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Backpacking Trip in 15 or so years.

Blog Entries
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 082209.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  106.1 KB

Tonight's training route. Minor change to pack weight will be an ever so slightly lighter long sleeve shirt to the clothing bundle. But topping off the hydration bladder. It will likely remain at 37.2 pounds.

I'm considering throwing in my Tops Tanimboca Puukko in to have another bladed tool, and one that is probably going to be better at fine tasks than the ESEE-6. TOPS' website states weight with sheath at 7.6oz. "Only" half a pound...or almost half a pound.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 084748.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  70.1 KB

Perhaps I can trade the Fire Steel with my Puukko? Both are good for scraping (My ferro rod comes with a scraper that has a built in whistle) and it has a bow drill divot on the handle.
    If I'm down to a bow drill fire, things are pretty dire...

Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 085020.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  137.0 KB

I likely won't even use the ferro rod. Two small bick lighters, some waterproof matches, and two other people with similar setups.

Maybe I'll trim down my fire kit a bit to make up for the added weight of an additional smaller knife. The Leatherman Supertool 300 is coming with and is non-negotiable because of it's many functions and the fact that it has a decent saw blade on it. Santa is definitely bringing me a lighter Leatherman for Christmas. (Perhaps the "Rebar" model?) I could also lose a couple more pounds myself. That would certainly make it a wash.

Forgive my rambling, you guys are basically the audience for my person prep journal.

Things still going into the pack, which I'm waiting on as far as shipping/getting to the store:
    - Tube of Super Glue. Great for repairs/cuts/etc
    - Coffee Packets, and Gatorade Packets
    - Travel Sized Hand Sanitizer.
    - Mini Wet Brush

Everything else is in place, unless I make some other gear changes.
    Last edited by Spooky; Yesterday at 04:31 PM.

2. Likes happyscrappyheropup, rodia77 liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 082209.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  106.1 KB

Tonight's training route. Minor change to pack weight will be a ever so slightly lighter long sleeve shirt to the clothing bundle. But topping off the hydration bladder. It will likely remain at 37.2 pounds.

I'm considering throwing in my Tops Tanimboca Puukko in to have another bladed tool, and one that is probably going to be better at fine tasks than the ESEE-6. TOPS' website states weight with sheath at 7.6oz. "Only" half a pound...or almost half a pound.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 084748.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  70.1 KB

Perhaps I can trade the Fire Steel with my Puukko? Both are good for scraping (My ferro rod comes with a scraper that has a built in whistle) and it has a bow drill divot on the handle.
    If I'm down to a bow drill fire, things are pretty dire...

Name:  Screenshot 2024-10-04 085020.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  137.0 KB

I likely won't even use the ferro rod. Two small bick lighters, some waterproof matches, and two other people with similar setups.

Maybe I'll trim down my fire kit a bit to make up for the added weight of an additional smaller knife. The Leatherman Supertool 300 is coming with and is non-negotiable because of it's many functions and the fact that it has a decent saw blade on it. Santa is definitely bringing me a lighter Leatherman for Christmas. (Perhaps the "Rebar" model?) I could also lose a couple more pounds myself. That would certainly make it a wash.

Forgive my rambling, you guys are basically the audience for my person prep journal.

Things still going into the pack, which I'm waiting on as far as shipping/getting to the store:
    - Tube of Super Glue. Great for repairs/cuts/etc
    - Coffee Packets, and Gatorade Packets
    - Travel Sized Hand Sanitizer.
    - Mini Wet Brush

Everything else is in place, unless I make some other gear changes.
    Super glue is also great for sealing up wounds in a pinch

4. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    Super glue is also great for sealing up wounds in a pinch
    Yep. Another great reason to have it.

Hopefully the leather mechanic's gloves I've packed negate that though. Nothing worse than a hand/foot injury in the field.

Blog Entries

First Backpacking Trip in 15 or so years.

Well, I suppose the MPH isn’t too hard to figure on this one. Lol

Every day a little better.

Plan is to train hard until about two days before. Couple days rest and probably a pedicure with a hot stone massage the day before.

If you can’t tell; I’m somewhat excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spooky; Today at 01:59 AM.

7. Likes Mediocre, rodia77, uchinanchu, Raza liked this post
    I'd give yourself at least 4 days rest before the trip. Keep posting updates, we love hiking, camping, backpacking.

9. Likes Spooky liked this post