Likes Likes:  110
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Film watch discovery

Remember that I’m mainly talking about TAG the investment company whose name implied that they had ‘advanced technique’ long before they bought Heuer and other companies. TAG itself was merely adept at buying ‘technical’ companies that could do with an injection of cash. Heuer, as it happens, wasn’t technically advanced, and neither was Audiolab, but the TAG prefix suggested otherwise.

The partnership with McLaren was a different matter. There was plenty of advanced technique there, but it was all on the side of McLaren - and Ron Dennis wanted more money to take things further. These days, of course, TAG is mostly involved with business jets.

There was pretension in the TAG name, and it made a poor prefix for the company of Jack Heuer. There probably was a need to modernise the range of watches, and the cash-injected company went about it with 1980s vigour. They reached new and younger markets (which included me when I was 30) who had never heard of Heuer, but they pissed off the people who did know (and love) Heuer. Those tensions and prejudices persist, partly because watch enthusiasts have a tendency to look backwards. Heuer good - Tag Heuer bad.

The watches are fine, of course, but if the question is why some people have a down on them - it may be echoes of the dubious prefix, echoing down from the 1980s.

2. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Not going to go out of my way to find out what it is but a nice prop anyways, Hot Fuzz:

Name:  hotfuzz_watchprop.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  57.2 KB

4. Likes hayday, tempocalypse liked this post
    Great movie.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    It's supposed to be approaching midnight but whoever handled the props wasn't quite a horology ace:

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-04-16 01-38-51.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  27.4 KB

It's from Dream On, S01E12.

8. Likes Raza liked this post

From The Hitman's Bodyguard. "Henry" there on the dial?

Original size: https://postimg.cc/hJFXLcKd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post

From The Hitman's Bodyguard. "Henry" there on the dial?

Original size: https://postimg.cc/hJFXLcKd
    The model is called Knightsbridge by the brand Henry London. It’s discontinued, a quartz chronograph. Apparently they have shifted focus to solely smart watches. They had a three hand date model as well.

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/...XkLfi9ti4yfEdM
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

11. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Yup - cheap as chips British brand.

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post

15. Likes Raza liked this post
    Two from The Shape of Water:

A ladies' Bulova:

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-09-14 00-32-14.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.7 KB

and I don't know what this is exactly:

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-09-14 02-16-01.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  20.3 KB

17. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Two from The Shape of Water:
    and I don't know what this is exactly:

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-09-14 02-16-01.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  20.3 KB
    This isn't a distinct identification, but a time reference. That watch looks very close to my grandfather's 1936 Hamilton. Bulova also made some rounded tank watches in a very similar style. Also Gruen, and even Rolex and others. But the logo there might parse out to Hamilton or Bulova.

Name:  1936Hamilton.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  94.7 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

19. Likes rodia77, happyscrappyheropup liked this post