Close your eyes and come with me on a walk down memory lane. It’s 2006. I’m in my sophomore year of high school and it’s homecoming season. There’s a dance after the first football game of October and I’m out on the floor, in my very best outfit from JCPenney, waiting for the next song to load from the DJ’s (or was it math teacher’s?) iPod Nano. A synth comes over the gymnasium speakers and my 15-year-old self is introduced to the Grammy-nominated album, Konvicted, by Akon. I don’t think I’ve ever been the same since that moment, dear reader.
It’s now nearly 18 years later when I am reminded of this as the latest release from Maurice Lacroix on the extension of their AIKON line-up hits my inbox. Sure, it’s spelled slightly differently, but nostalgia makes rooms for homophones, don’t you think?*

The Swiss watchmaker has been producing the AIKON line since 2016 and, for the first time, now comes in titanium. The new additions come in two model options (Automatic or Automatic Chronograph) and a total of four colorways, giving the wearer an array of options for their personal preference and daily needs.

Let’s start with the basics first – why titanium? The most important reason people choose titanium is for its durability. As Maurice Lacroix has noted, these four titanium references were designed as a response to their customer base’s needs. Having a watch that can withstand the normal wear and tear of daily life is a blessing when you’re paying in the thousands – but titanium in particular is a sought-after material for its noncorrosive reaction to saltwater and being more lightweight than, say, steel for a comfortable wear. Considering the Automatic and Automatic Chronograph clock in at 42 and 44mm, respectively, that lighter weight is sure to be noticed after extended wear.

In terms of color options, each model has two variants between them. For the Automatic, one can choose between a nice steely gray or a more vibrant purple option. Both colorways are decorated with a clous-de-Paris dial motif (which is a fancy way of saying “a repeating pattern of tiny pyramids along the dial). Like other AIKONs, the Automatics’ beauty comes in the small details here, such as the use of alternating polished and sand-blasted metal and the intentional restraint to not overdesign these pieces.

The Automatic Chronograph, too, has two color variants. This time, one can choose between purple or gold dials, with a contrasting set of subdials to catch the eye. Like the Automatic, the cases of these references also play with the contrast of polished and matte metal finishes while the Chronograph dial has a latticework decorative motif that’s slightly subdued, compared to the clous motif. This, I think, was a good option, as the subdials of the chronograph would have competed too much against a busier background.
In terms of hardware, the titanium Automatic is equipped with a Automatic ML115 caliber movement, offering roughly a 38-hour power reserve. The Chronograph has an Automatic ML112 movement, giving you about 48-hours of power.

The titanium additions to the AIKON line are available now via Maurice Lacroix’s website. The titanium Automatic retails for $2,950 while the Chronograph goes for $4,600. Orders can be collected now, but shipping is scheduled for late October or November for all references.

Images from this post:

The post Maurice Lacroix Adds New AIKON References in Titanium appeared first on Worn & Wound.

More...