Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Diastar Original Skeleton arrives.

Diastar Original Skeleton arrives.

Arrived this morning. Looks awesome in person but, as previously stated, resizing the bracelet was a pain. It's considerably lighter than any of my other Diastars as it's Ceramos instead of TC, it's supposed to be harder, time will tell I guess.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-07-08 at 5.19.52 PM.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  136.6 KB
    this photo by time & tide
    Last edited by Tim.; Jul 8, 2024 at 07:27 AM.

Congratulations, Tim.
    I'll be interested to see how you like it over time. Given the choice of that and a DS40 Chronometer, I would probably choose the latter almost exclusively, but I suspect the skeleton design might grow on me.

I do wish they had never begun using the tiny anchors...and it would be nice to see the color of the anchor's disc match the color of the jewels in the movement. I remember seeing some that same purplish hue in the past.

How's the on-wrist balance?

3. Likes Tim., Mediocre liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post
    Congratulations, Tim.
    I'll be interested to see how you like it over time. Given the choice of that and a DS40 Chronometer, I would probably choose the latter almost exclusively, but I suspect the skeleton design might grow on me.

I do wish they had never begun using the tiny anchors...and it would be nice to see the color of the anchor's disc match the color of the jewels in the movement. I remember seeing some that same purplish hue in the past.

How's the on-wrist balance?
    Thanks Brad, thus far it's a joy to behold and I was pleased to find that it was pretty much +/- 0 sd this morning. I read a review that says they're adjusted to 5 positions, if so, that seams to be working for them. On wrist balance is good as, although it's "boat shaped" on the sides, a fact that makes it easy to access the crown, unlike many of my Balboas, it's also quite a bit lighter than my other XL's. You are correct re the use of jewels for the anchor, quite a few of my vintage watches have them and I don't know why they changed that. As you would know, the idea was that when the anchor froze in the jewel, it was time for a service. I had not previously been a big fan of skeletons but something about this design appealed to me the first time I saw it, I guess we'll see if that appeal stands the test of time.

5. Likes earl of farnborough, scottjc liked this post
    Is the crystal faceted in some manner?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Arrived this morning. Looks awesome in person but, as previously stated, resizing the bracelet was a pain. It's considerably lighter than any of my other Diastars as it's Ceramos instead of TC, it's supposed to be harder, time will tell I guess.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

7. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Is the crystal faceted in some manner?
    Yes, it's a little harder to see on the skeleton but it's the same style of faceted sapphire crystal they used on the first Diastar 1 back in the '60's. There are 9 facets, a little easier to see on this DS1.

Last edited by Tim.; Jul 9, 2024 at 09:36 AM.

9. Likes earl of farnborough liked this post
    That's lovely mate, congratulations.
    I'm a fan of skeleton dials and have had an eye on these since they were first launched.
    Enjoy and wear it in good health.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

11. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Lovely! Congratulations Tim, Like Brad, I am not a huge fan of Skeletons, but I am a fan of this one. You've done well. I am also a fan of that bracelet and a fan of Ceramos. My HCGH is part Ceramos. I can tell you that after more than a dozen years of hard wear the Ceramos is unblemished.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

13. Likes Tim. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Lovely! Congratulations Tim, Like Brad, I am not a huge fan of Skeletons, but I am a fan of this one. You've done well. I am also a fan of that bracelet and a fan of Ceramos. My HCGH is part Ceramos. I can tell you that after more than a dozen years of hard wear the Ceramos is unblemished.
    WOW it has been 12 years??
    I'll have to look back at when I wrote the review of the GH Chronometer prototype...I remember 2012 was the 120th anniv. of Hamilton and I published a short history on their behalf, maybe the Rado article was around the same time.

update: Winter 2013 publication date:
    https://www.watchcarefully.com/index...45-hyperchrome
    Apologies, the article has no photos as they went to 773H after my foto host went belly-up.
    Last edited by watch carefully; Jul 16, 2024 at 06:39 PM.