Likes Likes:  1,151
Page 296 of 298 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 2979

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Amazing that you were able to process that show at ~12.

Well, Purple Haze was on the radio, people had Magritte posters on the wall, I was reading John Wyndham books, and Britain had been primed by Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan’s previous TV series. I was a schoolboy in a conservative country town, but enough of this stuff filtered through. The most remarkable thing was that ostensibly old-school TV executives didn’t seem to think twice about putting it out. The Avengers was another example, as was Monty Python which grew out of a children’s TV show. The ground was fertile and there was an appetite for the produce.

2. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Well, Purple Haze was on the radio, people had Magritte posters on the wall, I was reading John Wyndham books, and Britain had been primed by Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan’s previous TV series. I was a schoolboy in a conservative country town, but enough of this stuff filtered through. The most remarkable thing was that ostensibly old-school TV executives didn’t seem to think twice about putting it out. The Avengers was another example, as was Monty Python which grew out of a children’s TV show. The ground was fertile and there was an appetite for the produce.
    What a terrific post! Many thanks for taking the time to sum up a place and time. Given your response & the topic of the thread, where do your media interests lie in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    where do your media interests lie in 2024?

Nowhere really! For the most part, my TV is a dark rectangle in the corner of the room The only time it has been switched on in recent weeks is to watch Euro 24, the four-yearly football competition.

I don’t have cable, satellite or subscription services, and generally only watch things that are on the BBC (because I don’t like adverts). I don’t go to the cinema. Consequently, most of the things that are mentioned in this thread are unknown to me. To pick up on one of your own references, I’ve heard of Austin Powers, but never seen it. I’ve never seen a Star Wars film or a modern James Bond film - other than ten minutes here and there that I’ve seen by accident. I don’t like action films. Most of the music I listen to is between 50 and 500 years old.

I will have missed a lot, but I’m quite old, and I don’t mind. There are popular TV things that I’ve eagerly consumed, like scandi-noir detective series, and Montalbano, an Italian detective series - but they’re not exactly recent. There have been other odd things, like Sherlock and Stephen Poliakoff dramas. Most recently, I enjoyed This Town, a BBC six-parter set in 1970s Birmingham, but that might not have much international appeal.

When you’re pushing 70, you’re not overly interested in being on-trend.

5. Likes FuzzyB, hayday liked this post
    Nowhere really! For the most part, my TV is a dark rectangle in the corner of the room The only time it has been switched on in recent weeks is to watch Euro 24, the four-yearly football competition.

I don’t have cable, satellite or subscription services, and generally only watch things that are on the BBC (because I don’t like adverts). I don’t go to the cinema. Consequently, most of the things that are mentioned in this thread are unknown to me. To pick up on one of your own references, I’ve heard of Austin Powers, but never seen it. I’ve never seen a Star Wars film or a modern James Bond film - other than ten minutes here and there that I’ve seen by accident. I don’t like action films. Most of the music I listen to is between 50 and 500 years old.

I will have missed a lot, but I’m quite old, and I don’t mind. There are popular TV things that I’ve eagerly consumed, like scandi-noir detective series, and Montalbano, an Italian detective series - but they’re not exactly recent. There have been other odd things, like Sherlock and Stephen Poliakoff dramas. Most recently, I enjoyed This Town, a BBC six-parter set in 1970s Birmingham, but that might not have much international appeal.

this town annoyed me as it was suppose to be set in my area but most of the filming was done else where and set when I was a kid too soo got other things wrong too
    “Better to be a broken piece of jade than an intact piece of pottery.”

I’m only a couple of years behind you, but now I feel impossibly modern and hip.

8. Likes tribe125, Raza liked this post
    Name:  IMG_2808.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  75.1 KB

Good to see you!

Name:  IMG_2808.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  75.1 KB

Good to see you!
    @FuzzyB, ditto! Where you been, man?

Blog Entries
    So, as part of a coping mechanism, I’ve been watching a lot of sitcoms lately. One thing that I’ve noticed that’s a seeming through line amongst all sitcoms is that no one ever locks their door. It’s wild to me that characters who live in apartments in major cities never lock their doors. In an episode of of Not Going Out I was watching just recently, one character woke up, walked into her living and said on the phone that she was alone. It was clear she’d just woken up, since she was still in pajamas and her roommate was still asleep on the couch. And not only was her flat’s door unlocked, it was wide open! If I woke up and stumbled into my living room and saw my door wide open, I’d be in a full panic. I understand there’s a level of convenience here, when you have 22ish minutes to tell a contained story, you don’t want to devote a lot of screen time and dialogue to answering the door, but still. That pushed the boundaries of believable for me.

Not a bad show, though. Took a few episodes to find the groove, then one of the main character left and they had to start over again in the second season, so it kind of feels like the first season all over again.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So, as part of a coping mechanism, I’ve been watching a lot of sitcoms lately. One thing that I’ve noticed that’s a seeming through line amongst all sitcoms is that no one ever locks their door. It’s wild to me that characters who live in apartments in major cities never lock their doors. In an episode of of Not Going Out I was watching just recently, one character woke up, walked into her living and said on the phone that she was alone. It was clear she’d just woken up, since she was still in pajamas and her roommate was still asleep on the couch. And not only was her flat’s door unlocked, it was wide open! If I woke up and stumbled into my living room and saw my door wide open, I’d be in a full panic. I understand there’s a level of convenience here, when you have 22ish minutes to tell a contained story, you don’t want to devote a lot of screen time and dialogue to answering the door, but still. That pushed the boundaries of believable for me.

Not a bad show, though. Took a few episodes to find the groove, then one of the main character left and they had to start over again in the second season, so it kind of feels like the first season all over again.
    if your on about the lee mack not going out it's a comedy soo yeah not so important and if i remember right they are in a building with security on the front door of the building (was one of my favs for awhile and lee mack but not watch some of the later stuff think watch it till he wed lucy but not much since ) but yeah with the American sit coms yes can think of a few like that ,baby daddy ,friends , frasier, the nerd one with the girl from blosom .

but depend the shows they are trying to do in the b*tich from floor 13 was it they tended too and in two broke girls what was the point they had nowt anyway ...

at moment watching . acolyte and so help me todd ...
    “Better to be a broken piece of jade than an intact piece of pottery.”

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    After what feels like an eternity we FINALLY get season four of Fauda. I was ready to go all Kanye on someone’s ass because the wait was nibbling at my grey matter like a hideous parasite. And suddenly as if by magic it shows up on Netflix just in time to keep me off the front page of the papers. I’m up to ep-3 so far and loving it. Weird seeing Duvdevan operating in a foreign city.
    Good show!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague