Likes Likes:  1,127
Page 296 of 296 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296
Results 2,951 to 2,957 of 2957

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Amazing that you were able to process that show at ~12.

Well, Purple Haze was on the radio, people had Magritte posters on the wall, I was reading John Wyndham books, and Britain had been primed by Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan’s previous TV series. I was a schoolboy in a conservative country town, but enough of this stuff filtered through. The most remarkable thing was that ostensibly old-school TV executives didn’t seem to think twice about putting it out. The Avengers was another example, as was Monty Python which grew out of a children’s TV show. The ground was fertile and there was an appetite for the produce.

2. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Well, Purple Haze was on the radio, people had Magritte posters on the wall, I was reading John Wyndham books, and Britain had been primed by Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan’s previous TV series. I was a schoolboy in a conservative country town, but enough of this stuff filtered through. The most remarkable thing was that ostensibly old-school TV executives didn’t seem to think twice about putting it out. The Avengers was another example, as was Monty Python which grew out of a children’s TV show. The ground was fertile and there was an appetite for the produce.
    What a terrific post! Many thanks for taking the time to sum up a place and time. Given your response & the topic of the thread, where do your media interests lie in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    where do your media interests lie in 2024?

Nowhere really! For the most part, my TV is a dark rectangle in the corner of the room The only time it has been switched on in recent weeks is to watch Euro 24, the four-yearly football competition.

I don’t have cable, satellite or subscription services, and generally only watch things that are on the BBC (because I don’t like adverts). I don’t go to the cinema. Consequently, most of the things that are mentioned in this thread are unknown to me. To pick up on one of your own references, I’ve heard of Austin Powers, but never seen it. I’ve never seen a Star Wars film or a modern James Bond film - other than ten minutes here and there that I’ve seen by accident. I don’t like action films. Most of the music I listen to is between 50 and 500 years old.

I will have missed a lot, but I’m quite old, and I don’t mind. There are popular TV things that I’ve eagerly consumed, like scandi-noir detective series, and Montalbano, an Italian detective series - but they’re not exactly recent. There have been other odd things, like Sherlock and Stephen Poliakoff dramas. Most recently, I enjoyed This Town, a BBC six-parter set in 1970s Birmingham, but that might not have much international appeal.

When you’re pushing 70, you’re not overly interested in being on-trend.

5. Likes FuzzyB, hayday liked this post
    Nowhere really! For the most part, my TV is a dark rectangle in the corner of the room The only time it has been switched on in recent weeks is to watch Euro 24, the four-yearly football competition.

I don’t have cable, satellite or subscription services, and generally only watch things that are on the BBC (because I don’t like adverts). I don’t go to the cinema. Consequently, most of the things that are mentioned in this thread are unknown to me. To pick up on one of your own references, I’ve heard of Austin Powers, but never seen it. I’ve never seen a Star Wars film or a modern James Bond film - other than ten minutes here and there that I’ve seen by accident. I don’t like action films. Most of the music I listen to is between 50 and 500 years old.

I will have missed a lot, but I’m quite old, and I don’t mind. There are popular TV things that I’ve eagerly consumed, like scandi-noir detective series, and Montalbano, an Italian detective series - but they’re not exactly recent. There have been other odd things, like Sherlock and Stephen Poliakoff dramas. Most recently, I enjoyed This Town, a BBC six-parter set in 1970s Birmingham, but that might not have much international appeal.

this town annoyed me as it was suppose to be set in my area but most of the filming was done else where and set when I was a kid too soo got other things wrong too
    Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation toward the local swimming pool. so I gave him a glass of water.

I’m only a couple of years behind you, but now I feel impossibly modern and hip.

8. Likes tribe125, Raza liked this post
    Name:  IMG_2808.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  75.1 KB

Good to see you!

Name:  IMG_2808.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  75.1 KB

Good to see you!
    @FuzzyB, ditto! Where you been, man?