Likes Likes:  4,495
Page 675 of 676 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675676 LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,750 of 6752

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I wanted a Triumph Thruxton more than anything, might still be my favorite bike. Although, lately, the Norton Commando 961 has been haunting my dreams:

I love both that Norton and the Triumph. There is a used Thruxton R at a local dealer that had me tempted - I might still add one, but I think the next bike is a Hypermotard as my daily/winter bike. The Monster was a better bike for me and a good stablemate to my Hayabusa.

2. Likes Raza, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Wicked mate. Congrats!

Thanks, a little less hard edged, but more in line with the type of riding I do the most. The TuonoV4F was amazing, but lots of short comings - can't drive it in traffic, can't drive it in the heat, abysmal fuel efficiency - that last one usually doesn't matter, but pair high consumption with a small fuel tank and it really limited where I could ride the bike. I still rode it daily and just dealt with it, but the deer gave me the chance to try something different.

4. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I wanted a Triumph Thruxton more than anything, might still be my favorite bike. Although, lately, the Norton Commando 961 has been haunting my dreams:
    The Norton is nice, but I would need a few changes. First, it would need pulled-back 4"—5" taller bars and a more traditional Banana seat like the Triumph Bonneville. Otherwise, it's perfect! I'm glad to see it doesn't have those stupid gators over the shocks and forks like the Triumph. My 2004 Bonneville did not have them, and I don't see a reason for them on a street bike.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I love cars and I love watches but this is a gross naming concept https://youtu.be/zRjsHPGE_Wo?si=1ehgTpKZj2zmDJVc
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

A new kind of Tourbillon

Well, that's what Bugatti is calling it...8.3-liter V-16 mounted amidships combined with three electric motors totaling 1800 hp, and only $4.6 million. Get'em while they're hot.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 4.12.14 PM.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  38.8 KB

I'll admit the instrument cluster is pretty cool and watch-like, being skeletonized:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 4.18.41 PM.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.9 KB
    Last edited by mlcor; Jun 21, 2024 at 09:19 PM.

8. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, that's what Bugatti is calling it...8.3-liter V-16 mounted amidships combined with three electric motors totaling 1800 hp, and only $4.6 million. Get'em while they're hot.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 4.12.14 PM.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  38.8 KB

I'll admit the instrument cluster is pretty cool and watch-like, being skeletonized:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 4.18.41 PM.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.9 KB
    Given untold riches, this still wouldn’t be the kind of car I’d gravitate towards…but damn, it’s hot. Still, I’d rather have a Singer 911.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Given untold riches, this still wouldn’t be the kind of car I’d gravitate towards…but damn, it’s hot. Still, I’d rather have a Singer 911.
    I just want that speedometer, turned into a desk clock. But I probably couldn't even afford that.

11. Likes Raza, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Same, but I suspect that's a "pools I swim in" thing. Everyone who is in the list for a tourbillon probably has 3 singers already

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Same, but I suspect that's a "pools I swim in" thing. Everyone who is in the list for a tourbillon probably has 3 singers already
    I’d best most people buying a Bugatti have never heard of Singer and/or definitely don’t want a car with a manual.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

I wrote this for reddit.
    -------
    When I went to buy my M4 convertible 3 years ago quite a few people told me not to. Maybe because the extra weight and flimsiness would ruin the dynamics of an otherwise sorted car, maybe because the weather in England is crap, I honestly can't remember. Now, both of those things are true, however, to say that I don't regret it after 3 glorious years of ownership would be an understatement. I don't know if those people have never been in a convertible, but I can't understand why you wouldn't consider one. They're fantastic - a drive on a nice windy b road with the wind on my bald scalp is almost as fun as riding my motorbike on the same road was. Being stuck in slow traffic sucks, but... Roof down and now I'm topping up my tan instead of sitting in traffic!

The other night we drove to a remote field to look at the aurora borealis (oddly and very rarely visible in England) and, top down, seats reclined - perfect star gazing (though no northern lights to be seen, shame). A nice use case, but still.

They're practical too - I can, and have, carried a Christmas tree and a 50 inch TV with the top down - something I couldn't do in any other saloon.

Now the weather in England \_IS\_ crap, however I'm reasonably certain I've done more miles with the top down than up. Heated seats and steering wheel, air scarf, and as long as it's not raining I'm happy. Even if it does rain as long as you're doing over 50 you don't get wet - it's quite an experience - the rain goes over the car.

I considered swapping it for a manual supra the other day so went for a test drive. After 5 minutes I felt almost panicky with claustrophobia. The cabin is like a coffin. I know I've just compared a drop top with an infamously small inside sports car, but that's what I was cross shopping.

There was a time when the percentage of convertibles sold in the UK per car outweighed those in Europe\* (where presumably it's sunnier) which sounds odd, but it makes sense: if you're somewhere it's always sunny then the novelty wears off and you just want cold AC.

\*That time is no longer - presumably because everyone buys SUVs instead.

Regardless of where you live the experience with the top down, wind in your hair (if you have any), you can hear the induction and exhaust.. It's great to have it as an option.

I'm sure soft top convertibles are more compromised (lighter though), and it feels like a shame that folding hard tops aren't on sale any more (at all, I think?)... I'll hold onto mine.

Tl;Dr despite looking like a bellend in my baby blue drop top I utterly love it. If you haven't been in a convertible I suggest you try one. Not sure I'll ever own anything else.
    ------

15. Likes happyscrappyheropup, mlcor, Raza liked this post