Likes Likes:  4

Thread: **** settling time ****

**** settling time ****

Well as the title say's this one is about settling time you might have notice on the wruw the other day I had a new 70's Swiss dive watch call Trafalgar well it been well used there some rub to the world names and it had a fair amount of d.n.a on the case mainly between the lugs people tend to give them a quick once over but forget there for some reason .

I some time wish they would leave them alone,the amount of watches where you can see where some one has damaged it trying to clean it or the old scratches on the back where they want to do a movement shot and they ant got the right tool so in trying, scratch the hell out the back .. as the scratches always seem fresh to me

Well maybe we have all done that at the start, I have been guilty of not using the right tools to start with ( remember one tool I made was a piece of metal with some holes drilled in it with a bar that screwed in to form a back opener well it sorta work most of the time but when it did not it was not a pretty sight it would end up with me or the case back scratched to hell )

Anyway's getting off the point so the diver watch so it arrived while cleaning the strap notice it was split think the d.n.a was holding it together most of the time I would bin the strap might keep the buckle if half decent so no biggie ...

Wound it up no action but gave it a technical tap or three and started and has been running none stop since great I hear you say well yes for a watch of about 50 years old that is really good ..

But within ten minutes it was running 10 minutes slow last time I had one like that it conked out .. so got on to the seller just to say not sure on this one mentioned the faults his response about the regulating arm was funny and his it keeps very good time ( not just good very good amused me in the ad ) he did say well yes it was running a bit slow
    Now to the point of the thread yeah you knew I would get there sooner or later after all it is me

Settling time...

On the wrist most of yesterday it was running 12 minutes slow so as I said made the seller aware ... and took it off and put it upright on my side table as I said it has run none stop but in this position over last night and through today it has slowly creep closer to the right time as set to p.c it's down to 2/3 minutes so maybe just needed the settling time ...

If I get this sorta time on my wrist then I can live with that or get it service at some point ..

But the variation was weird hmmm ant had one do quite that before be fun to see what it does tomorrow on my wrist ...

Will do a couple of pic's tomorrow to see what it is doing through the day to see

So what fun stories have you got about weird time dilation on your measuring devices

As always Ismy

Breaking out the maths

Settling time

Settling time is the time required for an output to reach and remain within a given error band following some input stimulus.
    The settling time of an amplifier or other output device is the time elapsed from the application of an ideal instantaneous step input to the time at which the amplifier output has entered and remained within a specified error band, usually symmetrical about the final value. Settling time includes a very brief propagation delay, plus the time required for the output to slew to the vicinity of the final value, recover from the overload condition associated with slew, and finally settle to within the specified error.

Systems with energy storage cannot respond instantaneously and will exhibit transient responses when they are subjected to inputs or disturbances.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is the reason that some people appear bright before you hear them speak.

Hmm...we need more time...errr...I mean: more data.

The movements need some time to settle, when moved from one position to another, as we all know, but I would guess no more than a few seconds and certainly less than a minute.

Btw, I remember a stress test performed by the WatchTime including several pilot watches; the watches were sent to a pilot and the program consisted of 14 acrobatic figures, lasting a total of about 5 minutes. The watches faced G-forces ranging from +7 to -4. The measurements made before and after the acrobatic flight - in some cases - were quite different. A couple of movements (can't remember exactly which) needed more than a day to settle. The variations were still within seconds, not minutes...

3. Likes Jato liked this post
    well it was still going when I wound it about 20 mins ago so it's got a grand old charge on it plus 36 hrs and when I wound it, it was still going so very happy about that as the 20 mins ago it seem to have lost 2 minutes already as my p.c is saying 02.22 my watch 02.20 ..

just never seen a watch react so quickly before had some might take a day to get to be x minutes fast or slow never 20 minutes ... but if that stays the same through out the day so be it can live with that be funny if it goes up to 12 minutes slow then comes back to minus 2
    Light travels faster than sound, which is the reason that some people appear bright before you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    funny if it goes up to 12 minutes slow then comes back to minus 2
    That would be a good definition of reasonable accuracy and horrible precision. Unless the watch is cursed...that would explain it all.
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 31, 2016 at 01:45 AM.

6. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    well last one for the night so on the wrist

02:53
    02:30

= 23 minutes

that a new one

had a thought could the hands be loose but have just shook it and they don't seem to be and would they not go forwards as well as backwards yet all the times are minus

hmmm
    over night on the wrist

09:17
    08:54

= 23 minutes

well took it off to do some diy so think it show sign it deffo needs a service so in the too service draw it goes

feel free to talk about any you had, that had strange timing if you choose guys

just can't see any point in carrying it on where it was down to two / three minutes off the wrist and 23 on the wrist

just seem to random to be a settling thing so think it is a service thing

10. Likes CFR, popoki nui liked this post