Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I tried on a Smartwatch and didn't hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

I can't quite get away from it though.
    Good. Thought all our efforts were not working, anymore...

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, JAGtime liked this post
    Small cased watches rule.

I wanted to try on a Smart watch once, but my wrist recoiled in horror.......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

On the smart watch side of this thread - I purchased an apple watch for MrsO for christmas - she wore something on each wrist for a few days but now there is a nice 36mm Datejust that has not been worn in 2016 sitting in my safe.....
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

I tried several smart watches including the apple watch...however they all seem too delicate in comparison to Gshock,even the thin 5000/5600 models,and most of them have limited battery life and will be obsolete in 2 years

If I want to buy a smartwatch,the only thing I'd buy is the Bluetooth Gshock,just got one in Japan as a birthday gift to my friend,but it's not a full fledged smartwatch that can make you coffee or cook you dinner or something else spectacular...

Actually there are a few of a similar watch to the Birk's that may be done better. Two examples are the Ball EMII Officer and Trainmaster Cleveland Night Express. I believe there is a Hamilton and a Longines similar to this. The Birk's looks more RR than pilot IMO.

I find FC calling that a smart watch silly. It just has the function of a base FitBit, and would you really wear that to the gym or jogging? The only plus I see is the battery life. Smart implies aware and multi activity as far as apps. This is a one and a half trick pony...not very smart. Bad marketing strikes again.
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 3, 2016 at 06:13 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Actually there are a few of a similar watch to the Birk's that may be done better. Two examples are the Ball EMII Officer and Trainmaster Cleveland Night Express. I believe there is a Hamilton and a Longines similar to this. The Birk's looks more RR than pilot IMO.

I find the FC calling that a smart watch silly. It just has the function of a base FitBit, and would you really wear that to the gym or jogging. The only plus I see is the battery life. Smart implies aware and multi activity as far as apps. This is a one and a half trick pony...not very smart. Bad marketing strikes again.
    I tend to agree with you about the FC. It is definitely optimistic calling it a Smartwatch. There are a lot of G-Shocks that do way more than . I don't really think FC is really competing with G-Shocks though or , for that matter, Smartwatches either.

In regard to the Birks watch- there is some sentimental and historical significance for me. I would never buy a watch that big, or even Ball's 46mm, with the intent of actually wearing it much. Also, the Birks is not meant to look like a Pilot s watch. It is meant to look like a pocket watch converted to a wrist watch for a First World War pilot. Totally different animal.

The Longines you mention is really nice. I agree it is probably better than the Birks, certainly in quality. The Trainmaster Cleveland Night Express is a good looking watch but doesn't really have that pocket watch vibe, esp[ecially without the hunter style case back. No offence meant here, variety is what makes the world go 'round, but I really don't like the Ball EM II Officer. I don't think it would last a day on my wrist because of the hands alone.