Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swiss watches reworked in India

Quote Originally Posted by kkindaface View Post
    Yes, that's correct. I have seen QC issues with the most recent original and new ones as well. We can't expect more than that from a winding down company with dwindling staff I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    yeah my feeling was they have started to do it them selves with with left over stock and probably movement that may have been left over from when they failed the original qc

and a few with the winding cog coming out and a few other members had the same issues and some of the bad paint jobs was to hide the stud of the repaired dials even had one taped on to the movement yes if you can find a good supplier great but to many bad ones plus the time it takes to get here well for the uk that is .

what some are doing is buying the pocket watches now as they have the untouched original dials and movements and swapping them out to the case of the fail ones they have. I was tempted as I got a few cases doing nothing for that matter dials and hands as well
    Light travels faster than sound, which is the reason that some people appear bright before you hear them speak.

I bought a few "NOS" Ricoh watches from India earlier this year.

Of the 4 watches one is just fine, the other 3 had various issues - running very slow or stopping altogether.

I kept the good one and binned the other 3 after removing their cheap bracelets. (I'm not going to spend $150 to get a $25 watch serviced).

Affordable watches aren't so affordable when you have to factor in wastage rates like that.

3. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yeah my feeling was they have started to do it them selves with with left over stock and probably movement that may have been left over from when they failed the original qc

and a few with the winding cog coming out and a few other members had the same issues and some of the bad paint jobs was to hide the stud of the repaired dials even had one taped on to the movement yes if you can find a good supplier great but to many bad ones plus the time it takes to get here well for the uk that is .

what some are doing is buying the pocket watches now as they have the untouched original dials and movements and swapping them out to the case of the fail ones they have. I was tempted as I got a few cases doing nothing for that matter dials and hands as well
    Repaints were always iffy, probably their movements have some spares not made by HMT. I never had problem with originals for a long time until last year. In fact I purchased originals made 40 or so years back and they still work fine.

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
    I bought a few "NOS" Ricoh watches from India earlier this year.

Of the 4 watches one is just fine, the other 3 had various issues - running very slow or stopping altogether.

I kept the good one and binned the other 3 after removing their cheap bracelets. (I'm not going to spend $150 to get a $25 watch serviced).

Affordable watches aren't so affordable when you have to factor in wastage rates like that.
    afraid your right of late any coming from there that does not say hmt have been *service* put together from left parts (just my guess) so it's a crap shoot the early hmt was great got most of them still as said the later ones have the issues on the whole ( not saying that a few of the old did not slip through qc thou)

think I would have keep them for parts

have been know to buy non working just for the case or dial or even the hands at times to get a complete original watch back to as it was ( mainly Russian )

it'f fun say if you got £15 to have a punt on ( but if you find a good supplier then worth holding on to them ) I had one but lost the link

very hit and miss after that
    Light travels faster than sound, which is the reason that some people appear bright before you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by kkindaface View Post
    Repaints were always iffy, probably their movements have some spares not made by HMT. I never had problem with originals for a long time until last year. In fact I purchased originals made 40 or so years back and they still work fine.
    yep can't agree more if you can get the early they did do a very fair job since the hmt closed think a lot of ex employees have set up shop at home and are buying parts and doing it them selves

if you have notice it's all brands now like the Seiko 5 some of them ar looking a bit shocking now ok they go around the £10 mark but then it you have a original 70's one in good condition no one want's to spend the £50 quid for it say as they think they are only worth a £10 ...

remember across the road some one was quite rude that I has spent think it was like £50 ish for one when they had bought one almost the say for a £10 little surprise if I say mine is still going strong last I had heard off them there was not .

I have a repainted Olma on the way

$10. It looked kinda fun so I said why not.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

9. Likes is that my watch, OhDark30, Smeagal liked this post