Likes Likes:  7

Thread: New Rolex warranty (and possibly service) policy

New Rolex warranty (and possibly service) policy

From another forum:

Name:  Rolex Policy 2015.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  67.0 KB

There is already a spirited debate as to what the ten year language means--are they saying the recommended interval is now ten years, or are they saying they've just seen that owners are only sending their watches in on average every ten years. No word yet as to which interpretation is correct...

2. Likes CFR, Nokie, GaryF, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Anyway, these are good news. Seems like I have two watches with an extension of their warranty

Thanks for the information, mlcor.

4. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Good info. Thanks for posting.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

6. Likes mlcor liked this post
    I wouldn't send my Rolex in any earlier then 10 years unless there was a noticeable issue regardless of what they state.

What has changed to make them change their policy?

Are they using new oils with longer lifespan? Have they worked out that longer intervals results in more extensive service/repairs and therefore profit?

Its just interesting to note that they've doubled their recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    What has changed to make them change their policy?

Are they using new oils with longer lifespan? Have they worked out that longer intervals results in more extensive service/repairs and therefore profit?

Its just interesting to note that they've doubled their recommendations
    I don't know. But I suspect it's partly marketing and cost analysis--they have probably looked at their warranty rates and determined that there is very little extra cost in extending the warranty further. I bet the vast majority of repair issues (excluding abuse) occur in the first year, and then after that there's probably very little until the watch is ten or more years old. So the cost of a five year warranty is outweighed by the benefits of being able to show your confidence in the product. In terms of service, they still (to my knowledge) have not clarified the ten year statement--they could simply (as I noted originally) be noting that people aren't sending their watches in for service until ten years, as opposed to recommending that as a service interval.

I don't think oil technology has changed recently, I think the more modern oils have been in use for quite a while now, but someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in on that one.

All speculation on my part.

It was a nice surprise when I bought my latest model. Looking at the above my wife's watche bought last year looks like it has got an extended warranty too!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

11. Likes mlcor liked this post