Likes Likes:  3

Thread: **** bulova accutron watch ****

Threaded View

**** bulova accutron watch ****

The one pictured a few posts back, with the square dial and crystal, has two letters for the day. That indicates a quartz movement. They usually (always?) had the crown at 3 o'clock, as that one does. The case and dial MAY originally have had a tuning fork movement but this one certainly is quartz now. (However I believe all tuning forks movements originally had a 4 o'clock crown, or no side crown but a key on back to set the time).

If you can get the seller to provide a photo of the movement after removing the back, you can see the movement and its caliber number. Then you can google that number and you'll learn some key details about the movement.

214x - 219x are tuning fork movements. The last digit "x" indicates the number of complications. 0, no day/date. 1, has a date wheel. 2, adds the day. [this section edited by OP]

224x is a hybrid. Has quartz for basic timekeeping. Also has two tuning forks which control the sweep second hand movement. I've only seen this offered as the 2242. Versions without day/date might exist but aren't common.

Later Accutron movement calibers (beyond 224x) have no tuning fork, and the second hand jumps once per second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mystic Nerd; Mar 2, 2018 at 01:45 AM.

2. Likes tribe125 liked this post